Simcoe - The Low Down

A place to discuss all things related to brewing ingredients.

Moderator: Post Moderators

ocluke

Simcoe - The Low Down

Post by ocluke »

There are several aromatic hoppy beers that I enjoy that have Simcoe as a major component of the flavor and aroma hop additions. This patented hop is difficult to get this year, so making clones of Pliny, Blind Pig, Sculpin, etc. are all out, unless you want to pay high spot pricing for this hop.

I found the write-up from Indie Hops at the link below on Simcoe quite interesting.
http://inhoppursuit.blogspot.com/2011/0 ... imcoe.html

I wasn't familiar with this supplier who did the write up, but after doing some research, they seem to be doing a good thing in the craft beer industry. Anyone else have some good aroma substitution suggestions for Simcoe?
Luke

MetaBrewing - A homebrewing blog documenting experiments with equipment, processes, recipes, hops, wild yeast, and whatever else happens to sneak its way in.
brahn
Site Admin

Re: Simcoe - The Low Down

Post by brahn »

That's a very interesting read. The author seems to really be big on Chinook. I love Chinook, but I really don't think it's a sub for Simcoe. I've read a few discussions of this, and I just don't think there's a good sub out there for Simcoe. You could try either Columbus or Chinook and you'll get similar results in the sense that they're high alpha, pungent hops. It won't have that signature Simcoe flavor/aroma though. I think I'd suggest buying your Pliny and making something else.
lexuschris

Re: Simcoe - The Low Down

Post by lexuschris »

When I created my Union Jack clone, I had to come up with a substitute for Simcoe as well.

After reading a few threads, I opted for an 80/20 blend of Columbus & Centennial hops. There is no firm 'go-to' sub for Simcoe, but I thought this clone got very close to the real thing. That blend is at least in the ballpark of Simcoe... as near as I can tell. :) YMMV

My recipe also had Chinook & Amarillo in it, which may have helped fill in some of the Simcoe notes, although I did not change my quantities of those as part of my 'sub'...

Good luck!
---LexusChris

p.s. on my bittering addition, I just did a straight IBU swap with Columbus.. figuring the blend was not really needed for bittering.. just for the flavor/aroma additions..
"A woman drove me to drink, and I hadn't even the courtesy to thank her." – W.C. Fields