Aromatic Malt

A place to discuss all things related to brewing ingredients.

Moderator: Post Moderators

jward

Aromatic Malt

Post by jward »

Anyone use aromatic malt? What do you think of it? How much do you use? Descriptions seem to range from "used to give beer a strong, aggressive malt aroma and rich color" to more practical "double Munich flavor" to classic flavor from Belgian dubels.
lexuschris

Re: Aromatic Malt

Post by lexuschris »

Heya John,

Didn't want to leave this one hanging for so long.. I have used Aromatic just once... 6% in my Ye Olde Ale.

In my old ale, I remember a strong molasses like flavor intiially. It faded as it aged, and wasn't so strong by month 3. However, I had a fair amoutn of honey & muscavado sugar in there. Not sure if I was tasting that, or the aromatic malt.

Since then, I have also used some C-120 and CaraAroma in other brews... these 2 are very close and definitely have the darkfruit, prune/raisin thing going. (and are both 120L +) But in retrosprect, I wonder if Aromatic Malt is just a lighter version of that same trend.. (20L for Aromatic)..?

Not sure that helps at all.... Anyone else use Aromatic?
-_Chris
"A woman drove me to drink, and I hadn't even the courtesy to thank her." – W.C. Fields
jward

Re: Aromatic Malt

Post by jward »

I changed out 8oz of Munich for 8oz of Aromatic in a recent Red Ale. I'll have to see what you think.