Rice

A place to discuss all things related to brewing ingredients.

Moderator: Post Moderators

BrewMasterBrad
Pro Brewer

Rice

Post by BrewMasterBrad »

I made a Lite American Lager a few months back for my cousin's wedding. It was very popular, so I am brewing it again. I used 3 lbs. of flaked rice last time I brewed it. The problem is, flaked rice is not easy to find locally. I had to order it from Northern Brewer last time. Is it possible to substitute another form of rice? I know I can cook up some rice and do a cereal mash, but that sounds like work. Has anyone ever used Minute Rice? I'll do the cereal mash if I have to, just trying to be pragmatic.
I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada down at Trader Vic's
carbon

Re: Rice

Post by carbon »

The Bruery Provisions has Flaked Rice. Where have you been?
-------
rich
brahn
Site Admin

Post by brahn »

I've used minute rice before. It's a piece of cake, just thow it in the mash.
BrewMasterBrad
Pro Brewer

Post by BrewMasterBrad »

carbon wrote:The Bruery Provisions has Flaked Rice. Where have you been?
I know, but they aren't exactly local for me. I may end up going over there anyway since I need a sack of 2-row and some PBW.
brahn wrote:I've used minute rice before. It's a piece of cake, just thow it in the mash.
I thought you had. Did your efficiency come out the way you expected it to?
backyard brewer

Post by backyard brewer »

I've used regular rice quite a few times. It is extra work but the results are great.
brahn
Site Admin

Post by brahn »

BrewMasterBrad wrote:
brahn wrote:I've used minute rice before. It's a piece of cake, just thow it in the mash.

It's been a little while, but if I remember right I got a little higher extraction than expected on that batch. I think that's because it was a small beer and I always get better extraction on smaller beers. So, it's tough to say for sure, but it worked out fine for me. I just used whatever rice ingredient was available in my software to do the estimating.
BrewMasterBrad
Pro Brewer

Post by BrewMasterBrad »

brahn wrote:
BrewMasterBrad wrote:

It's been a little while, but if I remember right I got a little higher extraction than expected on that batch. I think that's because it was a small beer and I always get better extraction on smaller beers. So, it's tough to say for sure, but it worked out fine for me. I just used whatever rice ingredient was available in my software to do the estimating.
I ran into the same thing when I made the last batch of this beer. I usually get about 72% efficiency and I got 77% on that one. No big deal, it's just to keep the BMC drinkers happy. As long as it's cold, clear, and light, they don't know the difference. I think of it as a gateway beer to get them drinking homebrew.

If nothing else, I get a big pitch of yeast for a real lager on the next brew day.
brahn
Site Admin

Post by brahn »

Something tells me the BMC drinkers won't complain if there's more alcohol in their beer. :)