I need Ingredients today!

A place to discuss all things related to brewing ingredients.

Moderator: Post Moderators

Second Home

I need Ingredients today!

Post by Second Home »

I work in Commerce and I live in Costa Mesa. I need ingredients for 2 batches that I'm brewing tonight. I know Steinfillers is closed. I know O'Sheas sells kits but can you but you buy whatever grain/hops/ and yeast you want? I relly don't want to drive to Riverside to go to More Beer but I guess I will if I have to. Anyone know if I can buy that stuff from Brew Bakers or do you need to brew it there. Any thoughts.

Thanks,
A fellow brewer in a pinch! :(
To good Friends, Good Times, and Good Brew!
brahn
Site Admin

Re: I need Ingredients today!

Post by brahn »

O'Sheas does sell individual ingredients, but the prices are high. The selection is ok if I remember right, but I haven't been there for ingredients in a while.
carbon

Post by carbon »

O'sheas sells individual grains. They are usually in 1,3,5,or 10 lb pre-measured, pre-milled bags. I would definitely call ahead (949-364-4440) to see if they have what you are looking for. They also sell individual yeasts and hops as well. I go there sometimes because I can get there and back on my lunch break from work. It saves me alot of time.
-------
rich
Second Home

Post by Second Home »

Thanks guys. I just made a bunch of calls and O’Sheas is charging about $45 per kit and Brew Bakers was willing to put them together for me for $49 each. I think I am going to drive out to riverside though since Morebeer is only about $30 per kit. Wish me luck! Two batches in one night. If anyone wants to come over and help, I have beer. I’m in Costa Mesa and will be starting about 5:30 to 6ish.

Thanks!
Brandon
brahn
Site Admin

Post by brahn »

That's certainly ambitious, good luck! I've got school stuff going on tonight, so I'm out.
maltbarley

Post by maltbarley »

Sorry, late to the party or I would have...
JonGoku

Post by JonGoku »

How'd the brew day go? Were you doing both batches simultaneously or back to back?

FYI if nobody pointed it out before, brewcommune club members get a 10% discount at B3.

:happybeer:
Jon Image
Second Home

Post by Second Home »

JonGoku wrote:How'd the brew day go? Were you doing both batches simultaneously or back to back?

FYI if nobody pointed it out before, brewcommune club members get a 10% discount at B3.

:happybeer:

It went really well. I did them back to back. Everything went really smooth except one small boil over (wasn't paying attention) The first one I did was a scotch ale and according to the recipie, it was suppsed to have a OG of 1.088 and an estimated abv of 9.9%. That seems so high for the recipie not calling for additional sugar to the fermenter. It had about 10 pounds of specialty grain and an 8 pound bag of liquid malt extract and my first reading was really low. I ended up adding about a pound of brown sugar and was able to bring it up to 1.066. The second batch was a Porter. The first Porter I did came out looking like a Red so I was very pleased to see the rich oil like goodness being put into the carboy.
I would like to infuse rum into the porter and on one message board I saw someone added a whole 750ml of Appleton Estate right before the bottled/kegged. Has anyone had any experience adding liquor to a 5 gallon batch. If so, how much do you recomend and when would you put it in?
All in all, it was a pretty successful night. It was my first time using More Beer product and I was very happy with it. Thank you to everyone for your support. :cheers:
maltbarley

Post by maltbarley »

A 1.088 scotch ale? holy smokes! 10 lbs of grain and you are calling it specialty grain? With that much grain you are going to need a proper mash. What kind of grain was it and where did you find this recipe?
Second Home

Post by Second Home »

maltbarley wrote:A 1.088 scotch ale? holy smokes! 10 lbs of grain and you are calling it specialty grain? With that much grain you are going to need a proper mash. What kind of grain was it and where did you find this recipe?
When I get a chance I will post the recipe so you can check it out. I may be off on a few numbers.
backyard brewer

Post by backyard brewer »

maltbarley wrote:A 1.088 scotch ale? holy smokes! 10 lbs of grain and you are calling it specialty grain? With that much grain you are going to need a proper mash. What kind of grain was it and where did you find this recipe?
1.088 isn't too big for a scotch ale but I do agree that 10 pounds of specialty grains should be mashed, not steeped. Maybe it works, I don't know, but that's a LOT of grain. It would be super easy to do by just using ~3-4 gallons of water and holding it at 154* for about 45 minutes. Remove the grain bag and drain well.... You'd have just mashed the grain.
bwarbiany

Post by bwarbiany »

Damn, too late for me to see it as well...

I'd have enjoyed it a lot more than making 23 full sheet pans of rice krispie treats after getting home from work. That wasn't so fun.
Brad
JonGoku

Post by JonGoku »

bwarbiany wrote:Damn, too late for me to see it as well...

I'd have enjoyed it a lot more than making 23 full sheet pans of rice krispie treats after getting home from work. That wasn't so fun.
LOL just how many boxes of rice krispies did that take?
Jon Image
Second Home

Post by Second Home »

Okay, here is the recipe: * A little less grain than I thought but still a lot

8 lbs of Ultralight Extract

5 lbs of 2 Row
1 lb of Crystal 40L
8 oz Aromatic
4 oz Special B
2 oz Black Roasted

1 oz Glacier boiled for 60min
*no finishing Hops

Whirfloc clarifier
JonGoku

Post by JonGoku »

Hey Second Home, do you enjoy Scotch Ales or was this a curiosity buy? I brewed a batch and am wishing I'd of brewed something else, I guess it's just not my cup of tea. One of my co-workers claims it's the best beer she's ever had and asked to buy a case from me, but still...
Jon Image