I need Ingredients today!

A place to discuss all things related to brewing ingredients.

Moderator: Post Moderators

maltbarley

Re: I need Ingredients today!

Post by maltbarley »

Looks like a mini-mash recipe. If you aren't up on the method, just substitute extract for the 2-row and you should hit your numbers.
Second Home

Post by Second Home »

JonGoku wrote:Hey Second Home, do you enjoy Scotch Ales or was this a curiosity buy? I brewed a batch and am wishing I'd of brewed something else, I guess it's just not my cup of tea. One of my co-workers claims it's the best beer she's ever had and asked to buy a case from me, but still...
I love Scotch Ale. The first time I ever had one was about 5 years ago when I first started brewing. It was one of the first beers that I did that actually was really good. That's pretty much when I started really liked scotch ale. This is the third batch of it I've done but this is the first time I've used this recipe. I'm hoping it turns out well. If anyone would like to try it, I'm thinking about having a small tasting at my house after these 2 batches are done. I'd like to have other people try my beer and give me their opinion.

Also, earlier in this post I had talk about infusing my porter with rum. Does any one have experience on this that they can post some feedback for me.

Thanks again guys :happybeer:
To good Friends, Good Times, and Good Brew!
brew captain

Post by brew captain »

I am familiar with a gentleman (who shall remain nameless) that added burbon to his bottles just before entering them into a competition. The comp was for Sam Adams and the style was a stout. The idea was to give the beer a "barrel aged" flavor without the barrel or the aging. His beer did not advance, but I liked the idea in concept. I generally brew for myself and shoot for the flavors I want in my beers (no so much for the style guidelines) - so I say go for it. If you like it great. If you don't then at least you satisfied your curiosity about this technique...

Cheers!
brahn
Site Admin

Post by brahn »

I've added bourbon to the glass before pouring a stout and I thought it was pretty tasty. I say go for it with the rum.

Another good way to get feedback on your beer is to bring some to a club meeting.
Second Home

Post by Second Home »

When is the next one?
To good Friends, Good Times, and Good Brew!
JonGoku

Post by JonGoku »

Second Home wrote:I love Scotch Ale. The first time I ever had one was about 5 years ago when I first started brewing. It was one of the first beers that I did that actually was really good. That's pretty much when I started really liked scotch ale. This is the third batch of it I've done but this is the first time I've used this recipe. I'm hoping it turns out well. If anyone would like to try it, I'm thinking about having a small tasting at my house after these 2 batches are done. I'd like to have other people try my beer and give me their opinion.
Right on, well I've not had a chance to get my beer out to the Captain or any of the other club members who have offered, but it would be cool to get your opinion of mine as well since it sounds like you really like them.

The flavor profile has also changed quite interestingly over the month I've had it bottled. My last tasting was last weekend and I only managed to finish half the pint I poured :? I know that's alcohol abuse, but I made up for it, by taking a gravity reading the next morning when it was totally flat. It turns out it dropped another 2 gravity points from when I bottled it which is kind of interesting as it fermented it in the primary for over 3 weeks.
Jon Image
BrewMasterBrad
Pro Brewer

Post by BrewMasterBrad »

Second Home wrote:When is the next one?
The next club meeting will probably by on May 12 at a site to be determined.
I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada down at Trader Vic's
kevinham

Post by kevinham »

BrewMasterBrad wrote:
Second Home wrote:When is the next one?
The next club meeting will probably by on May 12 at a site to be determined.
The Bruery Provisions will be open then....
Kevin
brew captain

Post by brew captain »

Sounds like we have a tentative date and a great location for the next meeting. Maybe we should do a poll to make sure that works for the majority of the membership???

Cheers!
BrewMasterBrad
Pro Brewer

Post by BrewMasterBrad »

We don't need no stinkin' poll. We will meet when and where I say we meet! :twisted:

If it's okay with Kevin and Patrick, I think the Bruery Provisions store would be a great place to meet at 7pm on May 12.

I will provide a report on the SCHF.
Robert, what style are you going to cover?
Kevin, can you provide a short tour of the store?
I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada down at Trader Vic's
brew captain

Post by brew captain »

The way the Brue brew turned out got me thinking to run through Category 18 - Belgian Strong Ales. Either that or Category 10 - American Ales...

Cheers!
kevinham

Post by kevinham »

BrewMasterBrad wrote:We don't need no stinkin' poll. We will meet when and where I say we meet! :twisted:

If it's okay with Kevin and Patrick, I think the Bruery Provisions store would be a great place to meet at 7pm on May 12.

I will provide a report on the SCHF.
Robert, what style are you going to cover?
Kevin, can you provide a short tour of the store?
Having the meeting here is no problem. The tour will be very short.
Kevin
jward

Post by jward »

brew captain wrote:The way the Brue brew turned out got me thinking to run through Category 18 - Belgian Strong Ales. Either that or Category 10 - American Ales...
I would rather we hit some other styles before revisiting Cat. 18.
brew captain

Post by brew captain »

John - for Pete's sake it's been three years since I did that style! I was actually leaning towards Cat 10 anyway. We'll have to wait and see what I come up with (even I will be surprised!)...

Cheers!
jward

Post by jward »

Please keep in mind that Lyn favored the Belgian styles too and there have been so few styles covered.

I appreciated your St. Patrick's day choices. :wink: