Experimental or Sweet Stout?

This is an open forum to discuss all things that just might be on your mind.

Moderators: Post Moderators, Cheers Moderator

Traveling Fred

Experimental or Sweet Stout?

Post by Traveling Fred »

Hello Everyone,

I have a sweet stout I brewed a few months ago that I would like to submit to the OC Fair. I'm just not sure what category to submit in. It has several of the characteristics of a sweet stout including lactose, cacao nibs, some roasted and chocolate malts, but I also added a few other things such as cinnamon, vanilla beans, dried ancho peppers and bourbon soaked oak chips. At this point I'm thinking experimental since it has a few other ingredients that are not traditional but wanted to get some options.

Thanks,

Fred
hjw

Re: Experimental or Sweet Stout?

Post by hjw »

Experimental is the way to go. Make sure you list all off the special ingredients.
CurtisG

Post by CurtisG »

I would definitely go with experimental.

Anything additions you made to the beer will drop the score in the sweet stout category because they are not to style, Even if they make the beer better.
Traveling Fred

Post by Traveling Fred »

Thanks fellas
bwarbiany

Post by bwarbiany »

If you can taste those ingredients, definitely experimental.

BTW if you can't taste an ingredient, you may want to leave it out of the description when you describe it for the category. Generally judges expect to be able to taste anything you mention in the description.
Brad
Justin H
Club President

Post by Justin H »

Brad beat me to it. What he said ^
hjw wrote:Experimental is the way to go. Make sure you list all off the special ingredients.
Make sure that anything you list, you can taste in the beer. If you can't taste it don't put it on the sheet just because you used it. The judges are going to look for anything you list while they are judging it. If they can't taste it you are doing yourself any favors.
BrewMasterBrad
Pro Brewer

Post by BrewMasterBrad »

bwarbiany wrote:If you can taste those ingredients, definitely experimental.

BTW if you can't taste an ingredient, you may want to leave it out of the description when you describe it for the category. Generally judges expect to be able to taste anything you mention in the description.
So true. I judge LA County Fair commercial competition last weekend. I had an "other Belgian ale" that listed vanilla as one of the ingredients. I didn't taste any vanilla and it cost the beer a few points.
I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada down at Trader Vic's
Traveling Fred

Post by Traveling Fred »

Thanks guys. The cacao nibs and peppers definitely stand out the most with hints of cinnamon and vanilla.