Club Meeting – July 21, 2015 @ Barley Forge Brewing Co - 7pm

This is an open forum to discuss all things that just might be on your mind.

Moderators: Post Moderators, Cheers Moderator

efrainpaniagua

Re: Club Meeting – July 21, 2015 @ Barley Forge Brewing Co -

Post by efrainpaniagua »

Can't make it. But I will try to bring by some homebrew to the new shop by the end of the month.
email: efrainpaniagua@gmail.com
CurtisG

Post by CurtisG »

I'll be there!
ZeeRoDaHero

Post by ZeeRoDaHero »

I'll be there!
indianajns

Post by indianajns »

I'll be there. My brewing buddy James is tentative as a guest. (He was the British guy hanging out at NHC.)
lexuschris

Post by lexuschris »

Going to be a great meeting, and I'm looking forward to seeing Barley Forge! See ya all there!
--LexusChris
"A woman drove me to drink, and I hadn't even the courtesy to thank her." – W.C. Fields
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

Bump for tonights meeting.
Blackcomb

Post by Blackcomb »

See you guys there!
bwarbiany

Post by bwarbiany »

And actually, I'll see you guys there as well. And I've brought homebrew for once.

See what happens when you move meetings south? :happybeer:
Brad
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

Great crowd for the meeting last night! It was a pleasure meeting several of the new people that came out. If you were one of the new ones, please post a thread to introduce yourself here. :wave:
Blackcomb

Post by Blackcomb »

Was great to meet all the new folks! I do have a request for meetings moving forward as the guy taking notes:

1) When we were going over the initial notes it was lighting fast. I can type fast, but if we can slow it down a bit that would be ideal. I missed a lot of data even after grabbing the notes

2) When sharing beers, it was almost impossible to get everyones name and forum name. We should probably get a better format for this, as it was often after the fact that I learned a beer was shared. Perhaps some dedicated sections of time to share, say your name, your forum name, and a bit about your beer. Will help wonders in having to take notes and give the brewer the proper attention they deserve.
Blackcomb

Post by Blackcomb »

BrewCommune Meeting Notes

Meeting notes from July 21, 2015 at Barley Forge Brewing in Costa Mesa

27 in attendance

Discussed

Megastout (Distinguished Tim) hosted a brew day at his home on June 6th and those in attendance were mentioning what a great time was had.

Next club brew days is at Dhempy's (Dan) home in Santa Rosa. For those who don't know Dan's place is very family friendly with a pool for the family. All are welcome and this will be taking place on August 1st. If you plan on attending please let Dan know!

Several Competitions have taken place and here are some our members who placed!

OC Fair:

Megastout (Distinguished Tim) 2 1st places

Jward 2nd place

Hanger 24:

BrewMasterBrad (Brad) Gold, Bronze

National Homebrewers Conference:

Several members made it into the later rounds of competition

BJCP study sessions are continuing under the leadership of LexusChris (Chris). If you would like to join please enquire on the thread on the forums. You don't need to make every session and if you aren't interested in taking the BJCP test and just want to learn, you are more than welcome.

Scott from Windsor Homebrew Supply stopped by to introduce himself and his shop. They are located very close to where we met at Barley Forge at this address:

Windsor Homebrew Supply Co
743 Baker Street Suite D
Costa Mesa, CA 92626
714-668-9850
scott@windsorhomebrewsupply.com
http://www.windsorhomebrewsupply.com
facebook.com/windsorhomebrewsupplyco

We also got a taste of the club barrel project. More to come on this soon.

Style Presentation

Chris did our style presentation on Dortmunders.

•Barley Forge Grandpa Tractor

•Paulander Munich lager

Homebrews Shared

Here is what was logged as being passed around. If you were missed please let me know so I can update this list. It was difficult this time to get everyone's name down and their beers, so for next meeting if you pass a beer around please ensure I know about it!

•Bret America - Summer Farmhouse

•HEL - Bourbon Vanilla Porter

•BrewCityBrad (Brad N) - Brown Porter

•bwarbiany (Brad W) - Roggenbier

•lexuschris (Chris) - Kolsh

•indianajns - IPA

•JonW (Jon) - English mild

•HEL - Weizenbock

•HEL - Dunkelweisen

•Randy - Robust Porter

•Sam and Brian - Pale Ale

•Sam and Brian - Creame Ale

•BrewMasterBrad (Brad N) - German Pilsner

•Megastout (Distinguished Tim) - Kentucky Common

•Maltose Parrot (Tony) Double IPA

•Sagar - Belguim Golden Alehef

•Sagar - Hef

•CurtisG (Curtis) - 1056 yeast cake
Attachments
IMG_20150721_170611225.jpg
IMG_20150721_170611225.jpg (2.97 MiB) Viewed 2237 times
dhempy

Post by dhempy »

Another (non-brewing) club I belong to uses a simple paper and pen sign-up sheet ... you could have folks sign in with name, handle, and beers brought ... would greatly simplify your life.

Dan
Blackcomb wrote:Was great to meet all the new folks! I do have a request for meetings moving forward as the guy taking notes:

1) When we were going over the initial notes it was lighting fast. I can type fast, but if we can slow it down a bit that would be ideal. I missed a lot of data even after grabbing the notes

2) When sharing beers, it was almost impossible to get everyones name and forum name. We should probably get a better format for this, as it was often after the fact that I learned a beer was shared. Perhaps some dedicated sections of time to share, say your name, your forum name, and a bit about your beer. Will help wonders in having to take notes and give the brewer the proper attention they deserve.
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

dhempy wrote:Another (non-brewing) club I belong to uses a simple paper and pen sign-up sheet ... you could have folks sign in with name, handle, and beers brought ... would greatly simplify your life.

Dan
We definitely should start doing that.
lexuschris

Post by lexuschris »

Good ideas... it would be great to get that log of what was shared. Big Tim is doing a great job on meeting minutes, but the more busy venues make his job a lot tougher!

BTW, I did not bring any homebrew to the meeting.. that Kolsch must be someone else's....
--LexusChris

p.s. I enjoyed meeting all the new members, and seeing so many of our board members there at Barley Forge! The owner was very gracious with his stock room, and time! Very glad to have had a chance to hang out (I was going to say 'chill', but it was way too hot for that!) with everyone!
"A woman drove me to drink, and I hadn't even the courtesy to thank her." – W.C. Fields
Blackcomb

Post by Blackcomb »

lexuschris wrote: BTW, I did not bring any homebrew to the meeting.. that Kolsch must be someone else's....
--LexusChris
Apologies, if anyone knows who's what was let me know and I'll update it. It was pretty tough to get all of them this time and a sheet and slight tweak to format would make it much, much easier to get them all right. Similar to what we have done in the past with a stand up, say your name, forum name, beer you brought, and a bit about it as its being passed around.

:happybeer: