Club Meeting - Tuesday Jan. 21st, 7PM at Brewers Hardware

This is an open forum to discuss all things that just might be on your mind.

Moderators: Post Moderators, Cheers Moderator

Will you be attending the January Meeting?

Poll ended at Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:03 pm

Yes
71%
No
14%
Maybe
14%

Total votes: 21

dhempy

Re: Club Meeting - Tuesday Jan. 21st, 7PM at Brewers Hardwar

Post by dhempy »

Great meeting last night ... everything I tasted was superb. Always good to see everyone and talk about homebrewing etc.

Thanks to Derrin for being the generous host. That said, I know it is his evil plan to snare the BCers into more purchases (because every time I walk through the aisles my wallet gets lighter and lighter ... so many gotta have items!). Usually I can be heard muttering "F*&$ You Derrin" cause I know that upgrades are on the horizon! :D

Cheers!

Dan

P.S. And BMB ... I was only kidding about the dumb luck ... I'm well aware that your success is skill and "smart" luck!
Blackcomb

Post by Blackcomb »

Hey everyone,

Here are the notes from out January 21, 2013 meeting at Brewers Hardware:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1EbS ... sp=sharing

And here are a few pictures taken of the meeting:

Here is is an offline copy of the meeting notes:

Brewcommune Meeting Notes
Meeting notes from January 21, 2014 at Brewer’s Hardware, 27 in attendance

Club Business Agenda

Introduction of new club Officers for 2014. They are:

President: Chris L.
Vice President: Jon W.
Treasurer: Sam B.
Secretary: Tim R (Blackcomb)
Style and Comp. Coord: Brad W.

Discussed

Snapshots of Brewcommune 2013
Chris took the time to give us a snapshot of what the club was up to in 2013.

The club had 40 paid members in 2013, and ran no deficit.

Club barrel brew for 2013 was the Belgian Golden Strong which sat in Bourbon barrels for a year. Two barrels were used and over 20 members participated.

SCHF (Southern California Homebrew Festival) 2013 had 30 beers on tap from over 12 brewers at the club booth. New sign and new beer board make it easier than ever for guest to pick one to taste.

7 members put on brewdays al their homes during the year.

Brewcommune member Alex hosted a cellar raid and brought some amazing beers out to try.

Brent hosted a Google Hangouts session for the club doing a style presentation/tasting on English bitters.

Brian C hosted the club for a 45 gallon sour brew day. Current status of the beer is that it’s doing well and might be ready in the later half of the year.

Chris hosted another awesome Holiday party for the members at his home. Many rare beers were taken out and a great time was had by all in attendance.

Several members went to the GABF (Great American Beer Festival).

Members of the club attended and were entered into competition at a variety of beer festivals including, but not limited to:

OC Brew Ha Ha
OC Fest of Ales
Inland Empire Brewfest
Hanger 24
Pacific Brewers Cup

The club had a few brewers at Beach City’s ‘Learn to Homebrew’ day and Tim R (MB) couldn’t contain the rage coming from inside his kettle (aka boilovers).

John Palmer came and gave a very detailed lecture about his new book about water and the many things to look for while brewing as The Bruery hosted us at their barrel storage warehouse (that was COOL!).

Goals for Brewcommune 2014

Return to the SCHF. As the status of the festival is currently unknown but looking hopeful we talked as a club about going regardless and just having a club campout should it come to that. Looked like the club was all in agreement to this.

Obtain non profit status for the club.

Getting a bus and doing brewery tours

Brew on commercial system, possible club comp to decide what to brew.

Jon has found us several new places that we are excited to go and meet at this year. Like Newport Beach Brewing, Brewers Hardware, Brick, and Slaters 50/50 as well as Out of the Park of course. If anyone has suggestions or places that can be added please pass the information along to Jon!

Homebrews Shared
Here were the beers that were being shared. I tried to get all of them down but if it wasn’t announced I may not have gotten it. Let me know and I can update the list!

Sam - Rye from Beach City brewing teach to brew day

Curtis - Oatmeal stout with vanilla bean

Brain C - Pale

Jon - Janet’s Brown

Christy - Russian Imperial Stout

Jon - IPA

Brad N - German Pils

Tony - Out of control make your mouth catch fire ale ( :P )

Brian and Sam - Hoppy amber

Scott (SR) - Baltic porter barrel aged in red wine barrels

Chris L - Club Belgian golden strong and club barley wine

Style Presentation
Tim narrated this style presentation and based it on the various hops found in beers. Each beer was selected for it’s use of a single hop type.

Cascade - Mirror pond

Amarillo - Hanger 24 Pale Ale

Columbus - Hanger 24 Columbus IPA

Citra - Sierra Nevada Torpedo

Centennial - Stone Ruination IPA
lexuschris

Post by lexuschris »

An awesome meeting, and awesome note taking Tim! Thanks for getting that up right-away!

I also wanted to again extend a hearty 'Thank You' to Derrin at Brewer's Hardware for hosting us at his new warehouse and buying the members pizza!

It was great to see so many folks at the meeting, and especially nice to see some new members (and Brendan returned from a brief hiatus)!

For anyone that is still on the fence about joining the club officially, I hope the above list gives you some idea of what kinds of things we like to do during the year. 2014 is going to be the best year yet, so go ahead a sign-up using the link at the top of the page (right side), and let's get another great year going!
--LexusChris
"A woman drove me to drink, and I hadn't even the courtesy to thank her." – W.C. Fields
dhempy

Post by dhempy »

+1 for joining up! Great job Chris and Tim and Tim and Jon and Sam!

Thx again to Backyard Brewer!

Dan
BrewMasterBrad
Pro Brewer

Post by BrewMasterBrad »

Huge thanks to Derrin for hosting and for providing pizza. Love the new place.
I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada down at Trader Vic's