Stone fail (and other beer quests)

This is an open forum to discuss all things that just might be on your mind.

Moderators: Post Moderators, Cheers Moderator

lexuschris

Stone fail (and other beer quests)

Post by lexuschris »

Well, I was down in Escondido today for a soccer tournament. We were all looking forward to some grub & grog over at Stone Brewing afterwards, but much to our chagrin, a 3.5 hour wait for a table (at 3:45pm in the afternoon) changed our plans.

Stone was packed. The restaurant was packed. The bar was packed. The parking lot, lobby & store were packed. OMG, I wish I had a business like Stone Brewing! :mrgreen:

I did bring my growlers, and at least got some Enjoy by 4.1.13 DIPA and Oaked Arrogant Bastart for my troubles!
:happybeer:

On the way back up, my wife asked me about other breweries in the area, and I remembered that I had always wanted to visit Pizza Port, so we stopped by their San Clemente location for some food.

Great pizza! Wow! Plus they had a very welcoming tap board..
Pizza Port Tap List 2.23.13
Pizza Port Tap List 2.23.13
sanclementetapcam.jpg (770.29 KiB) Viewed 2435 times
I had their Doheny Double IPA and their Nerf Herder Mild. The Doheny Double was my kind of DIPA! Not too sweet, but plenty of hop & malt goodness! The dark mild was especially nice! It reminded me a lot of Black Tusk Ale, a dark mild I found in Whistler last year, and I hope to make another clone attempt of soon!

So, I was very disappointed that I had to skip a Stone Brushetta BLT w/blue cheese crumbles, but am otherwise glad I tried out Pizza Port and their pizza & beer!

Anyone have a trick to when to go to Stone to actually get a chance to enjoy their beer garden? Rather than admire it from afar? I only get down there maybe once a year, and every year it gets worse. I'm ready to give up on them... will just drink their beer from home I guess... not a bad idea right?
;)
--LexusChris
"A woman drove me to drink, and I hadn't even the courtesy to thank her." – W.C. Fields
bwarbiany

Re: Stone fail (and other beer quests)

Post by bwarbiany »

Wow... 3.5 hour wait? That's ridiculous...

But +1 for Pizza Port. My only gripe about PP is that they don't have wait staff, so I usually try to sit at the bar (not much of an option when kids are in tow)...
Brad
Greywolf

Post by Greywolf »

I've never had a wait that long, but it has been about a year since I had been down there for the Bistro. I will be down there to drop off my keg for the March Madness homebrew comp, I will have to take my growlers with me.
GreyWolf27
BrewMasterBrad
Pro Brewer

Post by BrewMasterBrad »

3.5 hours? Didn't you tell them who you are?

That's crazy. I was there on Thursday, Feb. 21 and enjoyed some Pliny the Younger on tap. A nice surprise since I only stopped in for a pint of something else. Missed the Enjoy By release by a couple days.
I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada down at Trader Vic's
lexuschris

Post by lexuschris »

BrewMasterBrad wrote:That's crazy. I was there on Thursday, Feb. 21 and enjoyed some Pliny the Younger on tap.
Salt in the wound, brother... salt in the wound...
;)
--Lexuschris
"A woman drove me to drink, and I hadn't even the courtesy to thank her." – W.C. Fields
ocluke

Post by ocluke »

lexuschris wrote:
BrewMasterBrad wrote:That's crazy. I was there on Thursday, Feb. 21 and enjoyed some Pliny the Younger on tap.
Salt in the wound, brother... salt in the wound...
;)
--Lexuschris
I'd take that Enjoy By over Pliny (and that's coming from a guy who isn't the biggest fan of Stone beers), so I think you scored. Although, at 9.4%, I can't have much. I made a 5.7% version of something similar to the quoted malt/hop bill, and I'm quite happy with it. I did a side by side last night, and the hop characteristics are pretty similar.

That Pseudo IPA on the board at Pizza Port San Clemente has always been a fantastic beer. I've only been there a couple of times since Noah left, and it wasn't the same. Maybe the new brewer has everything up to speed by now.
Luke

MetaBrewing - A homebrewing blog documenting experiments with equipment, processes, recipes, hops, wild yeast, and whatever else happens to sneak its way in.
StarRaptor

Post by StarRaptor »

I love that Pizza Port
Grande69

Post by Grande69 »

Tustin Brewing just tapped the Enjoy By...
California - Where the ground moves and the traffic doesn't.
lexuschris

Post by lexuschris »

That was tasty! I'll try and stop by at 5pm for a sample! :)
--LexusChris
maltbarley

Post by maltbarley »

I might try to sneak in there for a quick taste at 5:30.

And Chris, your post had me thinking this week so I planned a trip with the kids down to the Rainbow outlet tomorrow. Of course, we'll need to eat down there...
lexuschris

Post by lexuschris »

maltbarley wrote:I might try to sneak in there for a quick taste at 5:30.

And Chris, your post had me thinking this week so I planned a trip with the kids down to the Rainbow outlet tomorrow. Of course, we'll need to eat down there...
Smart thinking!

BTW, at Tustin now. They already ran out..
maltbarley

Post by maltbarley »

Good to see you, Mr. President. Glad that worked out.
lexuschris

Post by lexuschris »

Likewise!
:cheers:

That North Coast Old Ale got the pontification glands going! Thankfully, the Old Town IPA mellowed me out afterwards! Gotta start thinking about my soccer sojourn this weekend...
:happybeer:
--LexusChris