Jobs in Brewing

This is an open forum to discuss all things that just might be on your mind.

Moderators: Post Moderators, Cheers Moderator

Bullmac

Jobs in Brewing

Post by Bullmac »

Hey All,

I recently moved here to the OC and have been looking for a job in my field. In the meantime, I would really like to try and get in house experience (even if it's just cleaning) at a brewery. Does anybody know the best way to go about this? Any breweries do apprenticeships? I contacted Jerrod Larsen at Tustin Brewing but apparently brewer Jonathan Porter is leaving to start his own brewery so Jerrod is in the process of taking over and just doesn't have the time to have someone come in.

I've been taking the Seibel online Concise Course in Brewing Technology for about 3 weeks now and I know I want to be in the industry at some point, but just looking to see visually what I'm learning first hand. Anyway, if anyone has any good ideas or insight, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Cheers!
Mike C.
lexuschris

Re: Jobs in Brewing

Post by lexuschris »

I'm kinda guessing that it is a small industry, and that would make it difficult to get into. Probably taking any job (cleaning, clerking, pouring, etc.) is a good way to get inside, and then you'll eventually find some lateral opportunities.

When I worked in video games, getting hired as a 'game tester' was the entry for many soon-to-come programmers, artists, producers, writers, etc. And game testers work long hours for entry-level pay doing repetitive tasks. But, it was the 'in'.

Not sure what the equivilant is at a brewpub, but again ... anything that gets you inside might work.

Just a few thoughts... happy hunting!
--LexusChris
"A woman drove me to drink, and I hadn't even the courtesy to thank her." – W.C. Fields
maltbarley

Post by maltbarley »

Every so often The Bruery posts an opening on their Facebook page. I think the last time was a few weeks ago looking for a cellerman (keg washer, etc).
Greywolf

Post by Greywolf »

Working at the Breuery would be a healthy step into the industry. Another way to go about it... apply to every brewery that you can... and stay on them. Prove to them that you are serious about what you want to do. That is how I got my current job (not in the beer industry)... I blew up the hiring managers phone three times a day for over a week. She said she would hire me, as long as I stopped calling her.
GreyWolf27