Mead bottling day

This is an open forum to discuss all things that just might be on your mind.

Moderators: Post Moderators, Cheers Moderator

lexuschris

Mead bottling day

Post by lexuschris »

I brewed up a mead early January this year, and as you know ..they take a while to get fermented completely. I moved it to secondary in March and added my herbs: Marsh Rosemary, Cinnamon & All-Spice. A month later, it went into a keg for long term aging and carbonation.

I call it 'Mowachat Metheglin', after an Indian Tribe in the NorthWest, just because. Well, I've had it on CO2 for the past few weeks, and did a quick ghetto-tap-to-bottle for the Xmas party, and it was tasting a lot better than I had hoped for!

So today, I finally got around to bottling up 4.5 gallons of this wonderful elixir and hope to hit a few mead competitions this year with it...
Mowachat Metheglin
Mowachat Metheglin
Mowachat.jpg (65.54 KiB) Viewed 678 times
For once, I took my time to orgainze my bottling & beer-gun process and try to make this day a successful one! I used a bottling bucket for so many years, that I never really took the time to figure out the best way to get the Blichman Beergun working well.

All my bottles washed, sanitized & stored in the fridge for a week. Keg was kept at 16 PSI at 50-F all week. I added a Wye branch to my secondary CO2 regulator and fit it with a CO2 purge hose and a CO2 push hose so I can finally get away from being right in my cramped little kegerator closet.

I pulled out my keg, CO2 canister, bottles, etc. into the hallway and had everything within easy reach, while kneeling on carpet (not tile thank god!). I also used my 'Beer Saver' caps to quickly seal the bottles and allowing me to fill 6 or so, before setting my beergun down to bottlecap the bottles.

For once, I had full fills, no foam, and every cap put on before much CO2 escaped at all. Now I have a bunch of competition ready bottles, and few EZ-top pint bottles for sharing during the year.

Anyways, it is always nice when a plan comes together! :happybeer:

Hope everyone has a Beery New Year!
--LexusChris
--Chris
"A woman drove me to drink, and I hadn't even the courtesy to thank her." – W.C. Fields
Greywolf

Re: Mead bottling day

Post by Greywolf »

I am a big fan of the meads. It's always great to hear about a successful brew. Congrats! Here's to some first place finishes for it.
GreyWolf27