Beer shipping containers

This is an open forum to discuss all things that just might be on your mind.

Moderators: Post Moderators, Cheers Moderator

bwarbiany

Beer shipping containers

Post by bwarbiany »

Hey guys... I'm going to be shipping some homebrew within the next week or two, and wondering where those of you who regularly ship get your shipping containers? I've looked as some online, but spending twice as much as the cost of the boxes/packing to have them shipped to me doesn't seem too smart.

These will only be 12oz bottles... Looking for boxes that will hold 12 each.

Is there anyone locally that carries these?
Brad
lexuschris

Re: Beer shipping containers

Post by lexuschris »

The few times I ship homebrew (for contests, etc.) I always wrap them in bubble wrap, and pad the box pretty well. I've never sent 12 at once, and would be concerned over breakage by packing them so densely.

You may be best off just getting a somewhat larger box, fill it a bit with packing popcorn, then wrap the bottles individually, and pack them loosly with lots of popcorn.

Most common shippers (USPS, FedEx, UPS, etc.) don't really handle one box differently from another. (e.g. not sure if marking it 'fragile' will even help) Might be worth asking about special handling at the UPS center...

Anyways, not much of a help to your original post. I've never found anything like a 12-pack box, other than buying a 12-pack of something and re-using the box.
--LexusChris
"A woman drove me to drink, and I hadn't even the courtesy to thank her." – W.C. Fields
backhousebrew

Post by backhousebrew »

Here are some ideas from a Google search
https://www.google.com/search?q=12+bott ... 63&bih=707
Drink Good Beer!
DrDually

Post by DrDually »

Look for wine shipping boxes...we have shipped wine from New York to CA with no damage
Each bottle is seperated by cardboard dividers...however I would suggest addding popcorn and bubble wrap as noted by Chris above
Chris aka Dr Dually
drdually@att.net

Life is tough. It is even tougher when you are stupid. John Wayne

Bottled and enjoying: Nada, zip
Kegged: English Brown, American Amber, Double Barrel Ale
Next up: Kolsch
Marotte Brewery

Post by Marotte Brewery »

I received a gift of "Beer of the Month" last year for Christmas. The 12 packs of 12oz bottles came in this shipper.
12oz shipper
12oz shipper
IMG_0235.JPG (30.83 KiB) Viewed 4511 times
I also shipped beer to Colorado a few years ago (4 cases of 12oz bottles) in similiar shippers that were designed for 375ml wine bottles, made from styrafoam. (the first picture in the google search referenced above)

No issues with any breakage.

One note: These shipments were sent through authorized companies and were marked as alcohol, so UPS may handle those differently...
dhempy

Post by dhempy »

Which shipping companies are those? Any marking on the cardboard as to which company makes 'em?

Dan
Marotte Brewery

Unfortunately, I threw them out a while back (I moved). I can find out about the 375ml shippers.

The 4 cases I sent to Colorado were shipped via Safe Haven Wine Services in Paso Robles. They ship wine clubs for Wineries to most of the contiguous 48 states. He shipped the beer to CO for my wedding (as I married his daughter).
bwarbiany

Post by bwarbiany »

Thanks guys... I'd love to know if there's someplace local to get the 12-bottle shippers Jeremy mentioned, or the styrofoam one in the google image search?

I just want to avoid shipping empty boxes at equal or higher shipping cost than the boxes themselves.

On the other point, I've spent time loading trucks for UPS back in the day, and while UPS employees are not wantonly reckless with packages, it's generally assumed that you should be packing things well if you hand them over to either them or FedEx :lol:
Brad
Marotte Brewery

This place is in Brea:

http://www.boxvendor.com/wineandbeershi ... esbox.aspx

Box Vendor
(866) 725-9463
1220 Pioneer Street
Brea, CA 92823

$8.47 for a 12 pack shipper
dhempy

Post by dhempy »

I am wondering if there is a group buy possibility here somewhere .. especially for those that compete and want to share over a distance. I would think it would need to be a combination of 6 and 12 capacity (because not everyone submits 6 entries per competition Brad!) I did see a container size of 6 on the website (but strangely no break for quantity).

Just throwing it out there to see what sticks.

Dan
bwarbiany

Post by bwarbiany »

Marotte Brewery wrote:This place is in Brea:

http://www.boxvendor.com/wineandbeershi ... esbox.aspx

Box Vendor
(866) 725-9463
1220 Pioneer Street
Brea, CA 92823

$8.47 for a 12 pack shipper
Awesome! Thanks!
Brad
bwarbiany

Post by bwarbiany »

I was on the road today to visit a customer so I headed up here to get some boxes. First-rate service, and I'd definitely recommend the guy if you're looking for beer/wine shipping containers. It saves quite a bit over shipping them...

First: call ahead, as it seems to be a small operation, so you want to make sure someone is going to be there.
Second: They're at 1220 Pioneer in Suite K, which is hard to know up front -- no real signage at the entrance.
Brad