New LBHS (for me anyway)

This is an open forum to discuss all things that just might be on your mind.

Moderators: Post Moderators, Cheers Moderator

dhempy

New LBHS (for me anyway)

Post by dhempy »

Found a posting on Craigslist for a new LBHS in Simi Valley 10 minutes away (versus 45 where I usually go). Stopped in and met the proprietor ... Jeff ... seems like a good guy ... gonna do the right things by homebrewers ... stocking up his shelves in a clean / neat storefront. While he has a decent specialty grain selection, it could be better ... for example, no black patent (something I need for this weekend!) This will come with time ... for a just opened shop, he is going to have to gain some experience to see what folks need so for now I'm cutting him some slack and providing feedback. Hops and yeast selections are very good. He will definitely save me some time.

One thing I'm not wild about is that he is charging for Homebrew lessons .. I could be wrong but I think he will ultimately not do well with these. I plan on having a discussion with him to see what his thoughts are in this regard. Maybe folks are coming away with something besides just knowledge for their $25 ...

He does have a MONSTER grain crusher though ... I am jonesing to convert mine. His has a 1hp motor through gear reduction and then chain drive ... it just won't stop! Given that mine is need "more power" .... I'm going to have to "rewire it".

Web .... will ultimately be a storefront
Facebook

I also ordered and received a bag of grain from BrewPS which wasn't too bad ... but they don't have a storefront. Price was comparable to my regular shop without an additional 70 minutes of driving!

Dan
jward

Re: New LBHS (for me anyway)

Post by jward »

I don't like the charge for lesson thing either and am happy Eric has not charged that I know of. I have suggested that he have some kits of the demo recipe ready for sale. See it brewed, go make it yourself.
oc eric

Post by oc eric »

jward wrote:I don't like the charge for lesson thing either and am happy Eric has not charged that I know of. I have suggested that he have some kits of the demo recipe ready for sale. See it brewed, go make it yourself.
Nope AHP does not charge for brewing demos. Though it is getting harder to find folks who volunteer to do the brewing demonstration...

From personal experience it takes time to build up your stock of supplies for sale. It's tough to know what people want and in what quantity. If you want your LHBS to get better the best thing you can do is:

1. Shop there - if the guy ain't making money he won't be open. Buy all of your brewing supplies from him not hops from this online vendor, and grain from another vendor, and equipment from a third. Buy it all, even if it is 5% more expensive than online. It's nice to have a LHBS when you need yeast in the middle of summer and don't want some half cooked yeast 5 days later from an online vendor. He won't be there the next time if all you buy is yeast and a sack of two row.
2. Discuss it with him - but don't be disappointed if he can't/doesn't act on your suggestion right away
3. Ask if he can order what you are looking for - I did alot of that in the beginning
4. Ask what he does plan to stock in the future (next month, next quarter, next year) - having everyone in your homebrew club call and ask if he carries something is a good way to show there is a demand for a product. That's why I sell Blichmann, which I wouldn't otherwise.

Remember the guy is a homebrewer and he's probably just overwhelmed with what it takes to start and run a business. Give him some time. Of course, if he is unresponsive to any/all of this then he probably won't be around for long anyway...
An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk with his fools. - Hemingway
dhempy

Post by dhempy »

All good points Eric. I will in all likelihood join the store based club ... he will be giving club discounts and I usually brew enough to make that worthwhile. I won't mind having him close by and I do plan (and already have) given him first shot at supplying what I need. I don't expect him to have everything right away .. but I am hoping that in 6 months he'll have or be able to get 95% of what I'm looking for. His prices are almost identical to the other shop I visit (and he is right on the way for other places I frequent) so becoming a customer is a no-brainer for me. Even better will be that I think he will carry a slightly different variety of specialty grains than the other shop so between the two, I should be covered for most things.

Dan
nevery

Post by nevery »

oc eric wrote:Buy it all, even if it is 5% more expensive than online.
If the guy's only five percent more then he's worth supporting. I often save up to 40% online, including shipping and there's no gas or sales tax. Morebeer in Riverside matches their online prices but the tax is still 7.75%... Strangely enough, a single bag of grain from morebeer shipped is cheaper than gas and tax. Their 2-row is only $36 for 50lbs but If you only order a single bag online, shipping is cheaper (for me @ 20mi/gal gas) and the company headquarters is out of state so they don't charge tax. When you buy multiple bags, it pays to drive there.

I always throw in the yeast when buying grain or make a starter from the yeast I have stored from ranching. I pay $6.25-$6.50 for a package of yeast and a buck for an ice pack. No tax and arrives in three full days from the morning I place it. So far they've arrived less than a few weeks old from its date of manufacture. I split that package into ten, make a starter out of one and store the other 9 for the next time. Shipping is flat $7 which is less than gas for a 15mi trip both ways and it includes the rest of my order.
dhempy wrote:[...]he will be giving club discounts and I usually brew enough to make that worthwhile.
What's the name of his shop? Does he intend to do online sales? Sounds like his heart is in the right place! I say give him a chance. I read a lot of people online have really nice LBHSs so you might get lucky. Hell, he might even hook you up in exchange for giving demonstrations for him on the weekends or something. Might work out well for the both of you. :)

Last Notable: BullMac's Citra's Last Stand, Fathead Head Hunter, Theakston Old Peculiar, Pliny the Elder! (Courtesy of bwarbiany), Bruery White Chocolate

Anticipating:

dhempy

Post by dhempy »

I just found out that even though my new LHBS charges for classes, you get to use the amount of the fee towards purchases in the shop. So in essence all you really do with the lessons is commit to buy at least $25 worth of materials ... not a bad way to retain customers and no where near as bad as simply charging for lessons ... it also weeds out the wanna bes and looky loos. So I am more "OK" with it than I was before ...

Dan