Yeast issues

This is an open forum to discuss all things that just might be on your mind.

Moderators: Post Moderators, Cheers Moderator

tikitatt

Yeast issues

Post by tikitatt »

My brother in law and I brewed a Belgian strong ale August 5th and the first week we saw plenty of life. However, I’m concerned that the heat may have killed it. Anybody have any suggestions on what to do to fix this issue?

Thanks,
John
DrDually

Re: Yeast issues

Post by DrDually »

Details please...time,temps etc
Chris aka Dr Dually
drdually@att.net

Life is tough. It is even tougher when you are stupid. John Wayne

Bottled and enjoying: Nada, zip
Kegged: English Brown, American Amber, Double Barrel Ale
Next up: Kolsch
brahn
Site Admin

Post by brahn »

Yes, details please. OG, FG, yeast strain, recipe if you don't mind posting it.

It's unlikely that the heat killed the yeast, although it could have created some off-flavors in the beer.

Why do you think it didn't finish?
tikitatt

Post by tikitatt »

I will post the details as soon as my brother in law gives them to me. :oops:

Thanks,
John
dhempy

Post by dhempy »

Be sure to get the current gravity reading (I think others referred to this as FG but if it isn't done fermenting, then it isn't really FG) in with the details ... .. that may well be the most important data point. OG, recipe, yeast are important too but the current gravity will indicate where your beer is in the fermentation process.

Do a taste test on your gravity sample too ... that will give you an idea of what effect the heat has had in terms of off flavors.

Dan
backyard brewer

Post by backyard brewer »

I think maybe Maltbarley said this when discussing fermentation temps, but I think it rings pretty true: "... on the other hand, a Belgium can ferment in hell and still be to style..."
dhempy

Post by dhempy »

Indeed .... especially if you like the hotter alcohols (hence the taste test!)

Tiki:
I think what everyone is trying to get at is the determination if you're "stuck (i.e not completely fermented) or maybe finished already. You're three weeks in now ... I would think you should be under 1.020 by now ... OG should've been north of 1.070 and FG should be south of 1.016 ... if you're not south of 1.020 ... get a current gravity ... and then get another one in a day or two to see if it is still going slowly.

Let's see some numbers man!

Dan
brahn
Site Admin

Post by brahn »

Good point about the FG vs current gravity dhempy. I guess I was assuming that after 3 weeks he's at terminal gravity. The Dupont strain is the only yeast I've ever had take longer than about 10 days to finish.
dhempy wrote:I would think you should be under 1.020 by now ... OG should've been north of 1.070 and FG should be south of 1.016
That depends on the recipe. Depending on the extract, if there were no simple sugars you may only be expecting about 70% AA (or lower) which would be about 1.021 for a 1.070 OG. I was never able to get really high levels of attenuation until I switched to all grain.

Tiki: also, how much yeast did you pitch? A single vial/smack pack? Did you make a starter? How big?
dhempy

Post by dhempy »

I assumed that the recipe was to style for a Belgian Golden Strong Ale ... so those are guideline type of numbers. Brahn is correct, it is entirely recipe AND brewhouse (efficiency) dependent ... but I put them out there as as guidepost for conversation/comparison. And of course the FG (attenuation) numbers will be yeast dependent(how much, how viable, temp profile, oxygenated, etc.)

Dan
nevery

Post by nevery »

I would personally rack to secondary with this one. Maybe it'll help a tiny bit with off flavors before you bottle or keg and also allow a tiny bit of mellowing before the aroma/flavor is trapped in whatever you intend to condition in.

Last Notable: BullMac's Citra's Last Stand, Fathead Head Hunter, Theakston Old Peculiar, Pliny the Elder! (Courtesy of bwarbiany), Bruery White Chocolate

Anticipating: