BJCP certification

This is an open forum to discuss all things that just might be on your mind.

Moderators: Post Moderators, Cheers Moderator

tikitatt

BJCP certification

Post by tikitatt »

Has anyone used Beer Judge Education or Better Beer Scores for BJCP certification? I’m taking an online course in January and would like some feedback. Did you like it? Was it worth your time, etc.

Thanks,
Tikitatt
BrewMasterBrad
Pro Brewer

Re: BJCP certification

Post by BrewMasterBrad »

I had not even heard of this company before, but it sounds interesting. I will be interested to hear your feedback after you finish. The only thing that comes to mind is that you should not rely solely on this training in order to pass the exam. I am sure that this company has does a fine job of putting together a comprehensive course, but unless they have figured out some way to implement remote sensory perception, you will still need to do your homework on identifying off-flavors and aromas. Also, there are tons of books and articles that you will need to read in order to pass the exam as well. I know when Patrick led our course, which was great and helped me pass the exam, I still had to do tons of outside studying and tasting in order to pass the exam.

I will also say this, I have two advanced degrees and several technical certifications under my belt. The BJCP exam was one of the toughest things I have ever done. Don't take it lightly or it will kick your ass.
I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada down at Trader Vic's
tikitatt

Post by tikitatt »

Thanks for the info. I met some people at this year’s GABF and they told me about the site. They also told me how intense it is so I’m prepared for that. What I find funny is my class meets online once a week in the morning and I must have my beer ready to drink. There’s nothing better than having some great beer in the AM. Wow, maybe I’m attending the wrong meeting. Ha, ha!

Tikitatt
BrewMasterBrad wrote:I had not even heard of this company before, but it sounds interesting. I will be interested to hear your feedback after you finish. The only thing that comes to mind is that you should not rely solely on this training in order to pass the exam. I am sure that this company has does a fine job of putting together a comprehensive course, but unless they have figured out some way to implement remote sensory perception, you will still need to do your homework on identifying off-flavors and aromas. Also, there are tons of books and articles that you will need to read in order to pass the exam as well. I know when Patrick led our course, which was great and helped me pass the exam, I still had to do tons of outside studying and tasting in order to pass the exam.

I will also say this, I have two advanced degrees and several technical certifications under my belt. The BJCP exam was one of the toughest things I have ever done. Don't take it lightly or it will kick your ass.
BrewMasterBrad
Pro Brewer

Post by BrewMasterBrad »

It's like I always say, "You can't drink all day unless you start in the morning."
Brew30

Post by Brew30 »

The BN Sunday Session had a nice interview with the guy that runs it a few weeks back. Check it out if you missed it. I'm real curious what you think after you're done. It sounds like a great way to do it (virtual meeting style).
hjw

Post by hjw »

Have you already signed up for the exam? They typically fill up quickly now with the reduced number of applicants allowed to take it.
arroyobrewer

Post by arroyobrewer »

Curious to hear how the classes and exam went. Was the online course helpful?

For those of us not certified, is anyone interesting in studying/getting a group together? Any advice/resources are greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
maltbarley

Post by maltbarley »

Brad, I think you should lead a class...
nevery

Post by nevery »

maltbarley wrote:Brad, I think you should lead a class...
+1 :)

Last Notable: BullMac's Citra's Last Stand, Fathead Head Hunter, Theakston Old Peculiar, Pliny the Elder! (Courtesy of bwarbiany), Bruery White Chocolate

Anticipating:

BrewMasterBrad
Pro Brewer

Post by BrewMasterBrad »

maltbarley wrote:Brad, I think you should lead a class...
The "drinking in the morning" or the BJCP class?

I would be happy to if I could find the time. Working two jobs really limits my availability (that's why most of the new guys in the club don't even know who I am). We will see what the future holds.