AHA Club Only Competition Schedule

Old posts and such end up here. This forum is still visible.

Moderator: Post Moderators

brew captain

AHA Club Only Competition Schedule

Post by brew captain »

Greetings Gentlemen,

See below for the scheduled AHA Club Only Competition guidelines for the next few months:

- Anybody have a nice Category 16 Belgian sitting around waiting for recognition? Post up and, if selected, the club will send your entry in to compete against some of the best brew clubs in the nation.

- Now I know some of you guys got some real monsters laying around which is just what we need to enter in the March/April competition. Is this the time to put Blackwine the Elder to the test??

- For May they are looking for the best extract beers. We have a bunch of new brewers and this is a great way to try out competing without having to shell out the dough for an entry fee or shipping charges.

If we win, we get Brewcommune's name in print in the preeminent homebrew publication in the nation not to mention some nice bragging rights! :happybeer:

Club-Only Competition
Competition Schedule
2009 Competition Year Schedule January - May

January/February 2009
Belgian & French Ales

Entries are due January 9, 2009. Judging will be held Sunday, January18, 2009. Entry fee is $7. Make checks payable to American Homebrewers Association.

Entry Shipping:
Silverado AHA COC
c/o Doug Newberry
1215 Burnham Ln
Batavia, IL 60510

Hosted by Doug Newberry and the Silverado Homebrew Club of St. Charles, IL, this competition covers BJCP Category 16 styles.

For more information, contact Doug Newberry at newberry1215@comcast.net.

March/April 2009
Beers with OG > 1.080

Entries are due March 28, 2009. Judging will be held Saturday April 4, 2009. Entry fee is $7. Make checks payable to American Homebrewers Association.

Entry Shipping:
AHA COC
The Country Cannery
1320 1st Ave. N.
Moorhead, MN 56560

Hosted by Susan Ruud and the Prairie Homebrewing Companions of Fargo, ND, this competition covers beer styles in the following table.
BJCP Category Style
5C, D Dopplebock, Eisbock
9E Strong Scottish Ale
12C Baltic Porter
13F Imperial Stout
14C Imperial IPA
15C Weizenbock
16C, D, E Siason, Bière de Garde, Belgian Specialty Ale
18C, D, E Belgian Tripel, Belgian Golden Strong Ale, Belgian Dark Strong Ale
19A, B, C Old Ale, English Barleywine, American Barleywine
20 Fruit Beer over 1.080 OG
21 Spice/Herb/Vegetable Beer over 1.080 OG
22B, C Other Smoked Beer over 1.080 OG, Wood-Aged Beer over 1.080 OG
23 Specialty Beer over 1.080 OG

For more information, contact Susan Ruud at Susan.Ruud@ndsu.nodak.edu.

May 2009
Extract Beers

Entries are due May 2, 2009. Judging will be held Saturday, May 9, 2009. Entry fee is $7. Make checks payable to American Homebrewers Association.

Entry Shipping:
AHA COC
The Winemaker Shop
3006 SE Loop 820
Fort Worth, TX 76140

Hosted by Michael Porter and the Knights of the Brown Bottle club of Arlington, TX, this competition covers all BJCP beer categories (1-23); however, extract must make up more than 50% of the fermentables.

For more information, contact Michael Porter at msrwl5@sbcglobal.net.

(edited 2 times by author for syntax and general stupidity)
brahn
Site Admin

Re: AHA Club Only Competition Schedule

Post by brahn »

I've got a 16e just waiting to be kegged that I'm entering in the Batch 50 competition. We could use that if you want.

Brent
dhempy

Post by dhempy »

I can throw some 18e at the big beer comp ... I think it came in right around 1.080 or so ... it was the beer I had in the Pac Brewers Cup.

Dan
brew captain

Post by brew captain »

Hey Brent.

You are on. Get it bottled and we will figure out how to get it there by next Friday. I have some carbonation drops to contribute if that simplifies things (or a heaping 1/4 teaspoon of table sugar will do). UPS three day air and we are golden.

Cheers!
brahn
Site Admin

Post by brahn »

It's been kegged and should be carbonated well by the end of the weekend. I'll plan to fill a couple of bottles on Sunday. I've got a fedex.com account that should make the shipping pretty easy, my main question would be about how to package them for shipping. I've never shipped bottles before.
brew captain

Post by brew captain »

I use an oversize box, bubble wrap if I have it and a lots (stress lots) of crumpled up newspaper. Some suggest zip locking the bottles too. You can't overprotect them enough because in transit they will be surrounded with other boxes up to 50+ pounds. Put 2 or 3 layers of cardboard above and below the bottles for some added shock resistance.

Do you also know how to label them, entry forms, etc.?

Cheers!
dhempy

Post by dhempy »

I bubble wrap and use lots of Styrofoam peanuts ... use enough such that you have to compress them to get the box closed.

Like the captain said, think about supporting the bottles.

Oh yes, if asked, they are "Yeast Samples". The carriers frown upon transporting alcohol .. especially over state lines.

Dan
brahn
Site Admin

Post by brahn »

Sounds like a plan, I'll have to find some packing supplies, but that shouldn't be too tough.

I went to the AHA site and found the pdf's for bottle labels and the entry form, I think I can handle it, but I'll let you know if I have any questions.
brew captain

Post by brew captain »

Thank Brent!
backyard brewer

Post by backyard brewer »

dhempy wrote:Oh yes, if asked, they are "Yeast Samples". The carriers frown upon transporting alcohol .. especially over state lines.

Dan
Buy your shipping online if possible and just drop the box off pre-paid and you don't answer any questions. DO NOT ship via the Post Office, it's a big ime crime to ship alcohol via USPS :roll: Ship UPS or Fedex.
brahn
Site Admin

Post by brahn »

Yea, that's the plan: do everything online, and just drop it off. I was going to use FedEx because I already have the account.
brahn
Site Admin

Post by brahn »

Well, it looks like to make sure it arrives on time I'll have to ship it 2 Day. The options are 2 day and ground, ground may get it there on time but it doesn't look like that's guaranteed. Since I forgot some of the packing materials today and I have to ship 2 day anyway I'll just wait until tomorrow instead of running all over the place in between meetings.
brew captain

Post by brew captain »

Not a problem Brent. The club will reimburse (I think Sprout could PayPal it to your account when we know the damage). Next time we will be on the ball enough to be able to ship UPS Ground. Make sure to bring a sample to the next meeting so we all know what you entered in our collective name.

Good luck!!!
brahn
Site Admin

Post by brahn »

Well, we didn't place at this one. Bummer. I'll post my scores once I get them. Hopefully it does better at the batch 50 comp.
brew captain

Post by brew captain »

Wow, that was quick! Very refreshing. Sorry we didn't get a place, but thanks for representing!

Cheers!