Blichmann Engineering QuickCarb

Old posts and such end up here. This forum is still visible.

Moderator: Post Moderators

Reid
Club Treasurer

Blichmann Engineering QuickCarb

Post by Reid »

I'm looking to purchase a Blichmann quickcarb and would like to know if anyone would like to split it with me. I brew about once a month and I imagine that a few of us could share custody when you need to carb.

I'm short on time with getting some beers ready for the SD & OC Fair competitions and quick carbing will help with my schedule. I do prefer the set-&-forget method (~14 days) and I've tried the crank and shake with adverse effects so the quick carb seems to be the next, albeit expensive, choice.

http://www.blichmannengineering.com/products/quickcarb
CurtisG

Re: Blichmann Engineering QuickCarb

Post by CurtisG »

I've heard good things about the quickcarb from some breweries.

Alternatively. have you tried a combination of the force carb and set and forget carbing method? I usually will set the keg at 30 psi and shake to give it a head start but then allow it to finish carbing over the next week. It is usually nicely carbonated within 4 days though.
Reid
Club Treasurer

Post by Reid »

I have tried that but I initially over-carbonated then subsequently in trying to fix it ended up under-carbed.

If I wasn't aiming to submit a few beers for competition I probably wouldn't make the purchase. I can, but I don't need one more piece of uni-tasker equipment. In the future I'll forward plan my brewing to correspond with due dates.

I've also thought about making my own version, but I think the cost savings would not outweigh the convenience and warranty.
BrewMasterBrad
Pro Brewer

Post by BrewMasterBrad »

The Blichmann solution is nice, but completely unnecessary unless you are bleeding cash. I quick carb most my beers at 30psi for 24 to 30 hours and have had great results. No shaking. Another option is to put the CO2 on the IN port of the keg (best done if you have a check valve on your CO2 line to prevent fouling your regulator).
I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada down at Trader Vic's