How to brew your own Beer

What's happening in the beer world and where.

Moderator: Post Moderators

backhousebrew

How to brew your own Beer

Post by backhousebrew »

Brewcommune will be doing a presentation on "How to Brew your own Beer" at the Yorba Linda Public Library on March 14 at 6:30pm.
I have volunteered to be there and anyone who can participate with the presentation is encouraged to attend.
We will be showing the basics of getting started with extract brewing on the kitchen stove.
Let me know if you can make it.

http://www.ylpl.lib.ca.us/mod.php?mod=c ... e=20130301
Drink Good Beer!
backhousebrew

Re: How to brew your own Beer

Post by backhousebrew »

brewcommune got a mention in the O.C. Register!
http://www.ocregister.com/news/linda-49 ... -beer.html
I don't know where they came up with the part about making root beer. Maybe there is another speaker that they didn't tell me about.
Drink Good Beer!
maltbarley

Post by maltbarley »

No beer at the library? Well it looks like my Saturday night is free again.
lexuschris

Post by lexuschris »

Greetings all!

Don has an urgent matter that came up for Thursday and cannot be there to run this event. Rather than cancel this class, I'd like to ask for a volunteer to run this event on Thursday evening.

They are expecting a one-hour presentation on 'Brewing beer for beginners'. So, this does not need to be any actual brewing, nor any beer drinking. It is a brief introduction into the fun & easy craft of making your own beer.

I imagine a few ingredients to pass around and touch, smell, taste: DME, grains, hops, as well as a boil pot & fermenter as props would make the hour fun & lively for all. Just cover the ingredients and a basic stove-top extract process, and all would be good.

Please contact me directly if you can volunteer for this event via PM, and give me your phone number so I can get you the details.

Many thanks!
--LexusChris
"A woman drove me to drink, and I hadn't even the courtesy to thank her." – W.C. Fields
ArrogantDan

Post by ArrogantDan »

Being a Yorba Linda resident, I really wish I could step in and cover but I'll be at work during this time. Sorry I couldn't be of more help...
Grande69

Post by Grande69 »

Hey all! I was able to give this presentation.

It went very well. It was in their community center, a largish room with an elevated stage. They had a little kitchen they opened up and served chips and pop corn snacks. Being that it was in a city building, we weren't allowed to bring alcohol, but they DID have a couple of tubs of ice filled with six or seven types of gourmet root beer!

As for the presentation, I think I did well. I put together a PowerPoint presentation for it. I didn't refer to my notes much, but I managed to cover all the bases. I brought my little 20 qt kettle to show that you don't need a lot of fancy equipment to get started, I brought a bucket and a bunch of other equipment too. I walked over to Steinfillers and they gave me a quarter pound of two-row, Caramel 75, and chocolate malt for me to pass around. They even gave me a packet of old hops they had in the back that I was also able to pass around.
The library had an video projector (a fairly new and nice one), but there wasn't much of a sound system. They brought me a mic and I laid it next to the speaker on the laptop I brought to show a short clip, but a lot was lost in the translation. I didn't need the mic for the presentation, the acoustics were good enough.

Just like the movie theater, we started about 15 minutes late to allow folks to trickle in. I'd say there were 40 people there, and they all stayed right to the end. There was one colorful character that asked some really off topic questions, but the questions the rest of the crowd asked showed me that they were genuinely interested. One of the library workers was polling people on their way out and everyone seemed to like it.

I'd say this is definitely something we should do again. Just the excitement I heard in the voices of the people working at the library when I was trying to find Jessica (OOOHH, He's going to do the beer talk tonight!), I'd say there is an interest. There were at least four people in the audience I saw that worked in the library.
This type of event is in keeping with part of the club by-laws, “Promote interest, education and dedication to the art and science of home brewed beverages”.
I'm glad I had the opportunity to do this. I talk to people all the time about homebrewing, it was fun for me to do so as an organized event.

Tony
California - Where the ground moves and the traffic doesn't.
maltbarley

Post by maltbarley »

Tony, that's awesome. Thanks for representing!
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

Nice job Tony. Way to step up!
SamIam

Post by SamIam »

Well done Tony and thank you!
"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day!"
~Frank Sinatra
lexuschris

Post by lexuschris »

Well done Tony! So glad to hear it went well, and many thanks for rearranging your schedule last minute to make this happen!

You'll be sure to elaborate on the 'off topic questions' ... at our Tuesday meeting.. :)
--LexusChris
"A woman drove me to drink, and I hadn't even the courtesy to thank her." – W.C. Fields
backhousebrew

Post by backhousebrew »

Awesome!
40 people, wow, that's a huge turnout.
Well, you broke some new ground for the club. Congratulations!
Maybe we can do similar presentations in the future.
Thanks Tony for representing the brewcommune and doing such a great job at the last minute.
Drink Good Beer!
bwarbiany

Post by bwarbiany »

Yeah, that is really cool. I had interest in trying to step in for it, but since I'm traveling 4 days next week, my wife would have killed me if I left for this.

That said, I'd be interested in working with Don to see how it was that he originally set this up, as it might be a cool thing for me to do here in South OC.
Brad
backhousebrew

Post by backhousebrew »

bwarbiany wrote:Yeah, that is really cool. I had interest in trying to step in for it, but since I'm traveling 4 days next week, my wife would have killed me if I left for this.

That said, I'd be interested in working with Don to see how it was that he originally set this up, as it might be a cool thing for me to do here in South OC.

The first contact was from the library to Chris.Then Chris asked me if I wanted do it.
You could start with contacting the person at the library who originally contacted us.
PM me or Chris for the contact info.
Drink Good Beer!