Calendar Reminders

What's happening in the beer world and where.

Moderator: Post Moderators

dhempy

Calendar Reminders

Post by dhempy »

Entries due for 34th California State Homebrew Competition Calendar Entry

http://www.nchfinfo.org/state-comp

Entries may be shipped to:

Oak Barrel Winecraft
1443 San Pablo Avenue
Berkeley, CA 94702

Entry drop-off points:

Oak Barrel Winecraft
1443 San Pablo Ave
Berkeley, CA
(510) 849-0400
Mon - Fri 10-6, Sat 10-5

When
Sat Oct 13, 2012
Calendar
compcalendar@brewcommune.com
dhempy

Re: Calendar Reminders

Post by dhempy »

Props & Hops Homebrew Entries Due
Entries due for Props & Hops Homebrew Competition

http://www.palmspringspropsandhops.com/

SCHMIDY'S TAVERN
72286 HIGHWAY 111 J3
PALM DESERT CA 92590
T: 760.837.3800

MORE BEER
1506 COLUMBIA AV
RIVERSIDE CA 92506
T: 951.779.9971

BLACK MARKET BREWING CO
41740 ENTERPRISE CR N 109
TEMECULA CA 92590
T: 951.296.5039

When
Wed Oct 31, 2012
Where
Palm Springs, CA (map)
Calendar
Who

Brewcommune CompCalendar - organizer
dhempy

Calendar Reminders

Post by dhempy »

34th Annual California State Homebrew Competition (NCHO)
http://www.nchfinfo.org/state-comp.html
When
Sat Nov 3 10am – 5pm Pacific Time
Where
Anchor Brewing Company - 1705 Mariposa St., San Francisco, California (map)
Calendar
Who

Brewcommune CompCalendar - organizer
dhempy

Post by dhempy »

Hi Gents:

I'm going to start posting these reminders in individual topics 1) to permit some more easily followed event specific discussion and 2) to keep the most current events near the top of the list.

I am simply doing a copy / paste of what Google Calendar emails to me .. I think the same info is on the calendar page. My thinking is that most of you do like I do ... Forum / View New Posts so this will ensure that everyone has adequate reminders.

Events are added to the calendar with e-mail reminders for 10 days (at least when I add them) so that should give plenty of warning to those interested in participating. I also try to add both the deadline and comp days so that there are reminders for both. I know that 10 days isn't enough for brewing time but it certainly should be for bottling and getting entries in.

Do we want to set up reminders for brewing (e.g. 60 or 90 days out)? Not everyone is as organized about comps as BrewMasterBrad so would this be useful and get more brewers to compete? Is posting in the forums about the event the preferred method for notification or would e-mail be better (not sure I can get e-mails to work but will look if there is enough interest).

Maltbarley: BackhouseBrew: LexusChris: Nevery: You guys all have calendar access (via club position or as a volunteer) ... are you getting the reminder e-mails or is it just CompCalendar@BrewCommune.com?

Dan
lexuschris

Post by lexuschris »

I am not getting any reminders. This is the first I've heard about most of these.

Honestly, I don't use gmail, google+ or google calander all that often... perhaps I am missing out on some easy ways to keep all this together. Right now, if feels like 'yet another website I need to remember to log into occasionally'.

Perhaps I just need to logon to the calander and setup email notifies?? Suggestions?
--LexusChris
"A woman drove me to drink, and I hadn't even the courtesy to thank her." – W.C. Fields
backhousebrew

Post by backhousebrew »

No reminders here.
I still haven't been able to log into the calendar.
What is the user name I need to log in?
Drink Good Beer!
dhempy

Post by dhempy »

Chris and Don: I believe that we set you up to login to Google Calendar with your BC e-mail address ... e.g. President at BrewCommune and VicePresident at BrewCommune. The idea was the the VP could / should / would post club based events (like meetings) and the Pres would be the backup. I think that Maltbarley also has those privileges but I volunteered to help him with comps as a condition of his taking the Style Guru post last year.

I will head over and look to see if there is some way to get e-mails sent AND see if there is some way for you to reset your passwords. No big deal though as I will post the reminder e-mails to the forum .... that is probably the easiest reminder method for most BC'ers anyway.

I recall that we tried to get e-mail reminders going via Google Calendar for my RC club and wound up using Yahoo Calendar because you couldn't get there with Google (mostly because you couldn't set up a distribution list) .... but Google is much easier to embed so that is what was done here.

I've hinted to Brent that it would be very cool to automate the posting of e-mails ... but he is a busy guy. Another thought would be to see if there is someway to get a full listing of events from Google Calendar and then create posts via a CRON job ... I'll pursue this with Brent when I talk with him next week.

Dan
Last edited by dhempy on Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
dhempy

Post by dhempy »

OK ...

Chris and Don: Go try to log into Google Calendar here. Put in your BC e-mail address and Google Calendar password (if you don't remember your GC password, then click on "Can't Access your account" and follow instructions). That gets you to the calendar. I remember for sure that Chris was able to get in and I think that Don did too ... but go ahead and see if you can change an event ... just add a period or something to the description and save.

As far as notifications go, after logging in, on the left hand side there is the current month calendar and then below that, My Calendars, and then you should see Brewcommune CompCalendar. When you mouse over it there will be a pull down arrow on the right .. pull it down and select Notifications. You can even set up SMS notifications if you choose.

Let me know how it goes.

Dan
brahn
Site Admin

Post by brahn »

I don't get email notifications, but my phone pops up the reminders.

A cron job seems like it would be feasible, we'd just have to figure out how to make the post in the board automatically.
dhempy

Post by dhempy »

brahn wrote:I don't get email notifications, but my phone pops up the reminders.
How are you linked to that calendar? I know that the settings are public but maybe other folks could benefit from your method!

Dan
brahn
Site Admin

Post by brahn »

I just subscribed to the public iCal feed. It's simple to do on the iPhone, I imagine it should be easy enough on Android too. The events just show up on my calendar with a different color.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (143.19 KiB) Viewed 1739 times
dhempy

Post by dhempy »

Beautiful.

Someone want to try an android and post up the process for getting sync'd? My Atrix is already sync'd through my google account.

Dan
backhousebrew

Post by backhousebrew »

I tried logging in with vicepresident at brewcommune.com and the password Chris gave me. It won't let me in. Never has.
dhempy wrote:OK ...

Chris and Don: Go try to log into Google Calendar here. Put in your BC e-mail address and Google Calendar password (if you don't remember your GC password, then click on "Can't Access your account" and follow instructions). That gets you to the calendar. I remember for sure that Chris was able to get in and I think that Don did too ... but go ahead and see if you can change an event ... just add a period or something to the description and save.

As far as notifications go, after logging in, on the left hand side there is the current month calendar and then below that, My Calendars, and then you should see Brewcommune CompCalendar. When you mouse over it there will be a pull down arrow on the right .. pull it down and select Notifications. You can even set up SMS notifications if you choose.

Let me know how it goes.

Dan
Drink Good Beer!
lexuschris

Post by lexuschris »

backhousebrew wrote:I tried logging in with vicepresident at brewcommune.com and the password Chris gave me. It won't let me in. Never has.
Hey Don, I just looked up my old vicepresident password and resent it to you in PM. I tried it myself, and it got me in.

let me know if you it still won't work..
--LexusChris
"A woman drove me to drink, and I hadn't even the courtesy to thank her." – W.C. Fields
backhousebrew

Post by backhousebrew »

OK, it worked.
There was a capital letter in the password that I wasn't doing.
Thanks
lexuschris wrote:
backhousebrew wrote:I tried logging in with vicepresident at brewcommune.com and the password Chris gave me. It won't let me in. Never has.
Hey Don, I just looked up my old vicepresident password and resent it to you in PM. I tried it myself, and it got me in.

let me know if you it still won't work..
--LexusChris
Drink Good Beer!