August 2nd 2012 - 2nd Annual #IPADay!

What's happening in the beer world and where.

Moderator: Post Moderators

nevery

August 2nd 2012 - 2nd Annual #IPADay!

Post by nevery »

About #IPADay

Founded in 2011 by beer evangelists and social media personalities Ashley Routson and Ryan Ross, IPA Day is a universal movement created to unite the voices of craft beer enthusiasts, bloggers, and brewers worldwide, using social media as the common arena for connecting the conversation together.

IPA Day is not the brainchild of a corporate marketing machine, nor is it meant to serve any particular beer brand. IPA Day is opportunity for all breweries, bloggers, businesses and consumers to connect and share their love of craft beer. It is an opportunity for the entire craft beer culture to combine forces and advocate craft beer through increased education and global awareness.

Getting involved is easy; the only requirements are an appreciation for great beer and the will to spread the word. Anyone can participate by enjoying IPA with friends, making some noise online with the #IPADay hashtag, and showing the world that craft beer is more than a trend.

http://ipaday.org/

Last Notable: BullMac's Citra's Last Stand, Fathead Head Hunter, Theakston Old Peculiar, Pliny the Elder! (Courtesy of bwarbiany), Bruery White Chocolate

Anticipating:

BrewMasterBrad
Pro Brewer

Re: August 2nd 2012 - 2nd Annual #IPADay!

Post by BrewMasterBrad »

I celebrated with a four pack of West Coast IPA from Green Flash.
I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada down at Trader Vic's
Greywolf

Post by Greywolf »

I had me a Firestone Walker Double Jack and a Stone IPA
First FW I've had... it was quite impressive.
GreyWolf27
BrewMasterBrad
Pro Brewer

Post by BrewMasterBrad »

Double Jack is a great beer. One of my favorites.
I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada down at Trader Vic's
bwarbiany

Post by bwarbiany »

I went for a homebrew IPA.
Brad
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

Yesterday was a travel day for me coming back down the coast, but I did manage to sneak in an IPA at BJ's in Oxnard in celebration of IPA day.

I was at Firestone-Walker on the 28th and Anchor Brewing on the 31st and many other brew pubs and beer places throughout the week. :happybeer:
nevery

Post by nevery »

Agreed!! Double Jack is probably my second favorite beer, ever, following Bootleggers Knuckle Sandwich. The great part is that Double Jack is available all year, unlike Knuckle Sandwich.

I had one of my last two Stone 10th Anniversary Ruinations that I've been aging for 2months to see if the grassy taste went away. Much better, IMO, considering it's an aged a DIPA, lol. I'm not sure if I'll wait on the last one for another 6-8 months (1 year total). Could be interesting...

I also had New Belgium Ranger. Same Old, lol.

(WOW! Three replies at the same time, lol.)

Edit: oh, and GreyWolf... IMO you tried the best FW there is, so you're kinda ruined for the others, lol. I did the same thing. I would try Wookey Jack next. Not a huge fan of FW, so the rest of their line-up seems so-so in comparison to those two, from what I've tried.

Last Notable: BullMac's Citra's Last Stand, Fathead Head Hunter, Theakston Old Peculiar, Pliny the Elder! (Courtesy of bwarbiany), Bruery White Chocolate

Anticipating:

ArrogantDan

Post by ArrogantDan »

I had me a tooth ache which led to a headache which led to a trip to bed right after work. Guess Aug. 3rd will be National IPA day for me...
Greywolf

Post by Greywolf »

I was awefully excited to try the Wookey, as I had brewed a black-ish ryePA. Many similarities to the Wookey, my Black Beard's RyePA. I used black patent, I think FW used de-bittered roasted malt and midnight wheat, with some cara-rye. I think I will adjust my recipe accordingly.
GreyWolf27
nevery

Post by nevery »

Greywolf wrote:I think FW used de-bittered roasted malt and midnight wheat, with some cara-rye.
I would totally agree as the bitter is near zero, although I honestly had no clue there was such a thing as de-bittered roasted malt. Cool beans. :)

I saw this a while ago... a guy (skeezerpleaser) wrote Firestone and got help and also tips from ppl about Firestone's brewing procedures. This was his reply:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Style: Unfiltered Black Rye IPA
ABV: 8.5%
Malts: Pale Malt, Malted Rye, Dash of Cara-Rye, Midnight Wheat from Briess, De-Bittered Black Malt (Weyermann - Germany/Patagonia malting - Chile), Dash of Wookey dust
Hops: German Magnum (bittering), Citra & Amarillo (flavor/aroma and double dry-hopped)

[...]

**edit: I got some feedback from Matt from Firestone Walker and changed the recipe. He is a helluva guy, and they make great beer...go buy some

Brew Type: All Grain
Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Boil Volume: 7.46 gal
Boil Time: 90 min
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.0 %

Ingredients Amount Item Type % or IBU
13.50 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 81.1 %
1.66 lb Rye Malt (4.7 SRM) Grain 9.9 %
0.50 lb Cara-Rye (175.0 SRM) Grain 3.0 %
0.50 lb Carafa III (525.0 SRM) Grain 3.0 %
0.50 lb Wheat (Midnight) (550.0 SRM) Grain 3.0 %
0.50 oz Magnum [13.00%] (90 min) Hops 20.0 IBU
1.00 oz Citra [12.40%] (25 min) Hops 24.8 IBU
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50%] (25 min) Hops 17.0 IBU
1.75 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50%] (0 min) Hops -
1.75 oz Citra [12.40%] (0 min) Hops -
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50%] (Dry Hop#1 3 days) Hops -remove then add dryhop #2
1.00 oz Citra [12.40%] (Dry Hop#1 3 days) Hops -remove then add dryhop #2
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50%] (Dry Hop #2 4 days) Hops -
1.00 oz Citra [12.40%] (Dry Hop #2 4 days) Hops -

1 Pkgs English Ale (White Labs #WLP002) [Starter 2500 ml]

Mash @ 145-148 for 60 min
Increase to 155 for 10 min, then sparge

Estimated Original Gravity: 1.080 SG
Estimated Final Gravity: 1.015 SG
Estimated Color: 39.6 SRM
Bitterness: 61.8 IBU
Estimated Alcohol by Volume: 8.6 %

Ferment at ~62 for 10 days.
-----------------------------------------------------------------

Good luck, GW!

Anticipating:

Greywolf

Post by Greywolf »

Awesome info. I will definately incorporate that into my recipe. I don't think I will be using that same hop schedule... sheesh... I don't think I tasted that much in the beer I had... Could be fun though.
GreyWolf27
nevery

Post by nevery »

I remember reading that FW has a small addition in the beginning, kettle "charging" throughout with tiny amounts only to prevent boilovers, and then something like a 20 and a flameout with most (maybe all, can't remember) of their beers.

Anticipating:

Greywolf

Post by Greywolf »

There is quite a push to move toward mostly late hop additions. You get more of that aroma and flavor, without the cooked vegetal and/or super bitter characteristics. I have started to work this practice into my beers. Actually, I just started, with my Belgian IPA that I just dry hopped in secondary last night. The sample was pretty good, still needed the dry hopping, but I think it will be a really good beer.
GreyWolf27